FINISHED! Pineapples are so hot right now Culottes

The sewing world has gone culottes crazy and I am no exception. Here is my third pair. My second pair are 90% finished but pattern placement issues have prevented me from finishing them.  I might take some photos of the pattern placement nightmare on them for some end of year bloopers as part of the top 5 series. They are definitely in for winner of worst pattern placement faux pas of the year. Stay tuned.
But back to these ones. Oh I love them so don't even start on pattern placement with these ones! This fabric is from Darn Cheap Fabrics, and I know you will see it pop up all over the blogs over the next few weeks. It's my candidate for fabric of the year! A lot of very cool people have bought it and may also be heading down the pineapple culottes route.  And why not!  This fabric has already been seen on Emma of Ernest Flagg, in a Kelly skirt. The fabric is a heavy linen blend. It has a lovely drape and doesn't crush! And well, pineapples are so hot right now!
I bought the fabric at Darn Cheap Fabrics last week in Melbourne after seeing the Jean Paul Gaultier exhibition and having an all round fantastic day.  Thanks again Nic for convincing me to go down and for organising an awesome day of chatting, laughter, fabric shopping and JPG! And for driving me around!!

Please do yourself a favour and get to the JPG exhibition if you can. It is just so incredibly inspiring!!
For these culottes, I once again used the Liesl and Co Girl Friday pattern.  I really like this pattern and the fact that they are a bit full and skirt like - not just wide leg pants.   And I really like how the zipper is hidden in the pocket. I used the same size as my silk ones, although I worked out the side seams better in this non slippery fabric and gosh it looks nice.  Doing the side seams correctly also reduced the waist a fraction from my other pair.
I ended up taking 8 cms (4 from each side) from the back pleat and as a result the waistband wraps a bit further back, but I like the extra wrap. I should have taken some from the front because there is significant ease but it's not enough of a problem to bother me.  Of course I could probably go down a size, but now I know what to do with this pattern, I think I'll just stick with these changes.
And a final photo bombed shot to see how long I made them. They are long! I'm not sure proportionally for my height they are right, but do you know, they feel the perfect length when I'm wearing them... and sometimes that's all that matters.  Is this the end of the culotte making for me? Oh I don't think so!  Are you on the culotte trend?  If not, why not!!!

I'll be back very soon with a couple of very cool Japanese books and some giveaways. It's Christmas after all!!

40 comments:

  1. I reckon JPG would approve 100%!!



    I like the length- I think they hit at the right spot on your waist for them to be proportionally 'correct', and also, if you feel good in something then you'll always look good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So hot right now. I think they look fantastic. I also think proportionally they are perfect. Love them especially with the stripes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're killing me!! Such fabulousness, such a wonderful silhouette, I need this fabric now! Kirsty you are da bomb xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are "On Fire!" My love for your culottes, and the pineapples, is very high ;)
    Such a perfect silhouette for you and the more I see, the more I'm tempted to click yes on the Girl Friday pattern - despite the 4 patterns competing to be made here from my stash...
    A huge win for inspiration, just like JPG! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You & your culottes are so so so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a massive culottes fan but I am enjoying these. I think because they aren't obviously culottes. They disguise themselves as a skirt. I don't know if that's due to the pattern or the print of the fabric. I am definitely calling darn cheap tomorrow to see if they have any of this fabric left.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love them !!!! they look gorgeous on you! such a JPG styling with the stripy top!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooh Pineapples!! Love LOVE that print! What fun!! And they work perfectly as culottes - such a kooky garment that also happens to look incredibly chic! I love the length you made them, they look stunning on you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally awesome! Somehow I missed the pineapple memo, and even if I got it, I don't think pineapples are me...but you make me want pineapples. And pineapples with stripes no less. Those culottes are just spot on. The length is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never been that sure about culottes but this style are great, I love the fullness. That fabric is brilliant too - pineapple patterns were big here this summer too! They look great on & pairing with the stripes is fab!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is officially my favourite-ist make of yours ever!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love these Kirsty. Go team culottes. I hope mine look as awesome as these. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Best. Photobomb. Ever.
    This fabric! OMG it is pretty much the best ever! These are so fierce!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So obvs I read your last post first! Oh can you now see HOW DAMN HARD it is to not buy fabric when Darn Cheap is literally at the end of my street. And yes I've seen the pineapples and wondered if they could fit into my solid simple summer aesthetic..... Maybe as shorts..... Love the culottes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Melanie Y (Miss Piggy)December 11, 2014 at 12:01 PM

    These are freaking AMAZING!!! I love the fabric (I wants it SO badly) and I love how the culottes look sort of like a great 70s style skirt (also the length = fabulous).

    ReplyDelete
  16. You must ring up darn cheap fabrics - they might have some left!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mmmm, pineapples as the new neutral? What a conveniently located shop for you. There were some beauties in there although I only bought this fabric. You must get a long to the JPG exhibition. It is truly fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Team culottes for the win! I'm sure yours will be awesome! How are they going?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Kathryn. I'm wearing them as much as possible before getting on the airplane!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Maybe pineapples will be big next season - or maybe they will be completely last season and you'll be glad you missed the memo! I never thought pinepples were me either but culottes seem to make it all ok.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Sasha! It was hard to find something to wear in my wardrobe to see JPG that wasn't stripes!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You have some awesome culotte patterns already in your stash, so don't click yes yet, but you must get on the culottes train xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks Rachel. Have a great time at sewjourn this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I agree! When you feel good, the rest just flows. Thanks for your vote of confidence xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Haha culottes make everything ok 😉

    ReplyDelete
  26. They look cool! I think though culottes are not for me. I'm too short to carry them off.

    ReplyDelete
  27. this is one of those makes you see and suddenly realize the crime of having been without it all your life.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh, I'm not tall at all, so they might work for you!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This has got to be one of my favourite items of clothing I have ever seen! So exciting. Bet they're an absolute dream to wear :)

    ReplyDelete