FINISHED! A Wintery Robe Monique

I'm on a Republic du Chiffon thing at the moment. Today it's my second pattern, Robe Monique
I have been thinking about this dress for a long time. The fabric that the dress is made up on the RdC website is so beautiful it's hard not be to taken by it and Julie from one of my favourite blogs (Jolies Bobines) also made up a gorgeous one in YSL fabric no less!   For me, I've been dreaming about a winter version made out of velvet. 
I found some 'velvet like' fabric at Addicted to Fabric which I thought would be perfect. It has a lovely feel to it. You know the sort where you just want to keep stroking it. It's quite like velvet, but sadly it hangs a bit stiff.  It's called Carbine and is 40% Polyester 60% Viscose (Style: 70021314). 

I clearly hadn't really thought this through. While this fabric is nice to run your hands up and down, it isn't that nice to sew and it definitely doesn't want to go anywhere near an iron!  I sewed most of this up with my walking foot.
The pattern is in French and when I bought the fabric thought this was going to be an easy pattern as it only has 3 pieces. I somehow didn't read that the top part is also lined (in a quite ingenious way by the way), so it was going to require a little bit more effort that I had originally planned.  The instructions are pretty clear even to a non French speaker. The diagrams are pretty self explanatory
I traced the pattern out at a social sewing afternoon (this is the best I can do at social sewing as I'm too busy chatting to actually sew anything).  Cut out the fabric, found some silk habotai in my stash that I thought would be ok for the lining and got underway. I then proceeded to do every single step at least twice, sometimes, like the damned hem 3 times (but we'll come back to the hem in a minute).

The pattern calls for 5 tabs on each arm but I ended up cutting 6 and extending the arm ever so slightly so that it ends just after my elbow. I also wanted the gaps to be slightly smaller. I measured out the gaps meticulously but they aren't perfect. I redid these a few times, but in the end I'm relying on the fact that I'm constantly moving and that my arms won't stay still long enough for anyone to get out their ruler and measure them up.  The gaps in the photos is also quite deceiving, the dress never sits perfectly.
I ended up taking an inch off the length off the tabs in order to bring the dress in a bit. It is still a bit big across the shoulders, which I'd fix next time. Sadly the drape (or lack thereof) of the fabric makes it quite bulky and probably not very flattering.  
The top is lined to hide the tabs and also to provide a nice hem to the sleeves.  I understitched everywhere I could to ensure that the lining doesn't roll out.  I haven't attached the bottom of the lining to the dress, I think I'll see how it goes.
The biggest annoyance with this dress is the hem.  Even looking at these photos it is driving me crazy. Last night I hand stitched the hem, folding 2 inches then another 2 inches (maybe a bit short). After taking the photos this morning though I was horrified at how ugly the hem looked.  Thinking maybe it was because there was 2 layers.  I cut off 2 inches, overlocked and then handstitched again.  I'm still not happy. I still think it looks a bit heavy. It's not the hand stitiching - which barely picks up a thread. Maybe it's the iron print of the hem?  I contemplated attaching some binding and hand sewing that on, but to say I'm over the dress right now is a bit of an understatement.  Do you ever make something that you like thinks looks ok, only to find the photos pick up a flaw you didn't realise was there?
There is so much of this dress that I like. The 'gladiator sandal' sleeves are so not me that I like them for it, it's a bit 60s-esque and of course any dress that I can wear with these ankle boots I love. I know it will get a run as a date night dress and well, we'll see what happens with the hem.

49 comments:

  1. Oh this is lovely Kirsty! Those sleeves are such an interesting detail. The idea of velvet was brilliant - though it sounds like it was a lot of hard work, worth it though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it - it is a very cool style on you Kirsty! I think the hem looks fine - I think you should leave it as is and wear it all the time. Will you make it again?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it looks great, love the 'gladiator sandal' sleeves. I also bought something from a2f when hankering for velvet, sadly though it doesn't even feel nice, it's now laguishing in the stash. You'd never know from your photos that the drape isnt great, it looks luxurious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks lovely! If the hem keeps bothering you and you can be arsed to change it I'd definitely advise using bias tape as a facing, since it barely adds any bulk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good call on sewing the tabs a bit closer together, looks great! It's true what you say about little imperfections like not getting the spacing quite right- I often think that about the fit of pants. We can be so critical but the truth is that we're usually walking or moving around the they look perfectly normal!!


    If you're worried about your hem not being invisible, why don't you make it visible & machine stitch the hem? I think it looks just fine when you've got a deep hem like yours

    ReplyDelete
  6. "So not me that I like them for it"!!!! Seriously you crack me up Kirsty! I hear you on the hem thing and I am sure it's the thickness of the hem in part, but I think you could also work it as a feature??? Or am I talking out my proverbial a#%? It's possible it's the latter. I love this dress and your "high fashion" shoots are killing me. You are working it! I also love this pattern company. I am currently obsessed with the Jacques pants, but I am so totally sure they aren't really me... And not so much that I'd like them for it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha - I do most of my cutting out at social sewing also and for the same reason as you! Such a wonderful dress on you, Kirsty. Do the patterns take long to arrive? I'm dying to receive my pants pattern from them!! The top half lining is fascinating. And yes - photos always show up things I don't expect!! It's not something I was immediately drawn to visually though, so I'd say your hem is fine :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the silhouette on you? Can't say the tabs are my thang (oh the coldness!) but you're looking fab in it. I found the same thing with my cord beignet hem - I think it's that type of fabric. Definitely reducing the bulk to one layer helps. I'd consider top stitching it - maybe try on a scrap and see how it looks.... Social sewing sounds like such non-productive fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks great, I love the sleeve tabs, very Barbarella.

    Could you use a fusible tape for the hem or would you need to press too much and bruise the fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, it is so Barbarella! Thanks for reminding me! Not a bad idea re the fusible tape.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha, I don't think the tabs are really my thing either! But it is kind of fun to wear... I seem to be making a few odd things lately that are a bit out of character.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Mel! The patterns take an agonising time to arrive - or maybe I was just desperate. Thanks for saying you weren't visually drawn to the hem. That makes me feel heeps better!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha ha ha - yes, I was really working the model thang today. I had to - I mean gladiator sandal sleeves have to be 'worked'! Oh those Jacques pants are just too adorable, but I've got too much tummy to pull them off I fear... but never say never!! I've got 3 more patterns from RdC to make up but I think I need a little rest!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like the dress. I think all the changes you made make it even better than the original. I hope you can get the hem figured out to your satisfaction (although it doesn't look so bad to me here) so that you wear it lots, because it looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Jenny. Yes, the bigger gap was a bit breezy for me. Will think about sewing up the hem. I think I just need a bit of distance and maybe a date night wear and then I'll see how I feel!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Annette. Yes, I did think that bias tape would do the trick. I'll keep it as my option - if I can be arsed!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Barbara. This might be the same fabric! How did you hem your velvet skirt? I checked your site but couldn't see.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Rachel! I will definitely wear it - it goes with the boots after all. I'm not sure I'll make it again. I might, but there are only so many gladiator sandal sleeve dresses that you need in a wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Kathryn! They are interesting aren't they. Kind of unexpected.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks so much Gail. I really appreciate you kind comment and I look forward to wearing it out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  21. this is so cute. i just assumed you had a hem band on the dress. i wouldn't worry about it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh I love it in the heavier fabric and a solid really brings out the elements of the design. I've made this but just as a top, it turned out the fabric I planned would have to be pieced to add a skirt anyway so I thought I might as well start with a top. Maybe it's my fabric and the top but I get more of an eighties vibe from it. I definitely had a lot of batwing summer tops with cutouts as a kid. I found the tabs are deceptively difficult, I mean the concept is simple and I feel my sewing should be up to it but I found both the width of my tabs and the spacing a little imprecise. Not something noticeable but surprising, definitely a place to take ones time. Speaking of errors only the maker sees, I also wouldn't have noticed your hem without your comment and even then all I notice is it's not invisible. Really is a lovely pattern and fun to have something a little different. Can't wait to see what other RdC you have planned.

    ReplyDelete
  23. YES re the bands. It seems like such a simple idea, but they shift and move so much even with pins galore. I'd love to see your version - do you have a blog (I can't see a link in your disqus profile). I remember you also have a few other RdC patterns..what else have you made up?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Monique is my favourite dress from their collection! You wear it so well! Especially with red lipstick! The sleeves make this dress so attractive!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I didn't have much fabric to play with. I overlocked the edge, turned it once and hemmed it by hand. It worked well though it would have been better to have a wider hem with a bit more weight.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have the romper traced but no further. Here's my Monique: http://www.kollabora.com/projects/robe-top-monique I need to add some modeled shots. I've actually been wearing it a lot, I should make more tops. But I do still want to make the dress, the sleeves are beyond distinctive so I'm not sure I need a repeat but I do think it's great as a dress and that's why I bought the pattern. Just need to think of another fabric. Even in a nondirectional fabric, it can be a real fabric hog. I find only a really wide fabric can accommodate two dress panels.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think it looks great!! The hem- I wouldn't have thought anything of it if you hadn't mentioned it, looks fine to me! I would probably just machine stitch it :) I ordered this pattern ages ago and am hoping it will arrive soon, I have a perfect piece of silk waiting for it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This dress looks so gorgeous in silk! Can't wait for your version.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks Inna. The sleeves are such a fun and quirky feature. Despite how distinctive it is, I'm tempted to make another one.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congratulations! It looks so lovely on. Your tabs seem much better lined up than mine! Agree that it is a real fabric hog!
    I just lurked through your other garments - I love your kinerva!

    ReplyDelete
  31. It looks wonderful on your Kirsty. I think the hem could be a feature - add a little fancy black or even caramel braiding to the offending line, and you'd be on a winner I reckon.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow Kirsty I love it! The sleeves are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Kirsty! Have only recently started reading your blog - very enjoyable! I'm guessing you're feeling a little over critical of this make because...well, you're probably just over it after having to repeat so many steps. It really looks lovely on you & the hem isn't that bad you know! I'd put it away for a week or so & then look at it with fresh eyes. I think it's cute!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Without fail, you always look amazing in your creations, and this is no exception. It's why I religiously follow your blog. This dress is a fabulous piece and very cute, BUT I'm going out on a limb here in the name of complete honesty, and will admit that the hem was one of the first things I noticed in your pics. It doesn't appear to sit right and just looks very bulky. Saying that, at the same time, it does look very fixable with either a tiny hem or just bias tape. Putting it in perspective, overall the dress looks really well made.
    In my experience, when I've left something that I could have fixed (either because I'm just over it or can't be bothered), the irritation never goes away whenever I wear said garment and I don't enjoy wearing it like I should. Personally, I would hope that someone would be honest with me in the same situation, so I hope you don't think I've been unkind.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks! Shows how different perspective can be, posting the pictures I was again noticing the straps...that one's skinny that one's fat how does it happen.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks so much Mel for your honesty and of course I don't think you are unkind! Obviously that is exactly what I see as well. Some of these photos are from before I attempted to fix the hem - but when I took the second round of photos I had a tricycle in my photos (!?). I'm leaning towards a smaller hem with bias tape but wonder whether I just take the advice of others and machine stitch. I usually do a much smaller hem so that might be part of the visual problem for me.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks so much Kathy for reading and commenting! I do like this make so will definitely be taking your advice and having another look at it on the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  38. This dress looks great...and from the photos I thought the hem was a "band" sewn onto the bottom which I really like(d).

    ReplyDelete
  39. I really like the dress! and I have to say I didn't notice the hem until you pointed it out. I reckon re-do the hem, maybe just leave it for a little bit until you're not over it any more. :)
    Overall the dress is gorgeous on you! I LOVE the tabs along the top. I think I should try to get hold of this pattern, you've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thanks Carolyn. Actually I think this is your colour as well!! Glad you are back from your holiday as I need your advice! I have redone it now - the photos were from before the redo - except for the last one... but do you think the best way is to just fold up once or should I use bias binding?

    ReplyDelete
  41. Oooh very cool. I didn't realise it was lined but that makes total sense :-)

    ReplyDelete
  42. It is very cool. I like your clever approach to the lining.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I didn't realise either and thought it would be the simplest of makes. But thinking it through it does make sense !

    ReplyDelete
  44. It's funny how particular we become as sewers - things other people would never even notice become such issue for us - like the tab width and spacing! All in all a really funky dress which is greater than the sum of its parts!

    ReplyDelete