FINISHED! A sequinsy sewing dare (except for the official wear)

By now, you know the story...back in August I decided to take on a sewing dare from Gillian "To draft a pattern using a new to me fabric and then find an occasion to wear it ".
Nani Iro C
I finished the skirt and a version of the top last month, but I wasn't at all happy with the top. Thankfully when I got that jersey from Tessuti, I also received some additional jersey in a slightly darker grey to play around with.  This darker jersey goes better with the finished skirt. Originally I had planned for the skirt to be lighter, which was why my disaster top was in the marle, but I had a cutting mishap so I ended up using the darker sequins.. so it was meant to be.

After my less than successful top, I went back to the drawing board and started trying on every top I owned with the skirt to see what would work.  My favourite turned out to be a Nani Iro pattern of which I've made many, many versions, my favourite of course being the one using Liberty Ornithology.  It is a loosely fitted top that tapers ever so slightly in.  It always looks big, but for some reason I love this top on.
Untitled
For a while I debated whether or not to just wear the skirt with Ornithology and of course, I may well just do that in future, but that wasn't the dare and the failure of the previous top sort of egged me on.
Tuesday afternoon after school pick up I usually have about an hour to mess around and sew, so I did. I quickly cut this out and overlocked it together. It's only two pieces with kimono sleeves so it wasn't hard.  I tried it on and loved it.  But how was I to hem it and finish the sleeves and neck?  I kind of liked it without a finish with just the raw edges, but thought I'd better finish it.

I simply turned all the edges and sewed them with a twin needle.  This turned out to be super easy as I first stay stitched in from the raw edge  and then turned it over so that the line of stitching was just under the fold.  Soooo much easier than trying to wrangle the seam. The hem could maybe have used a bit of intefacing but with a good press it's fine.
Nani Iro C
Anyway, I like it. It doesn't look much (at all!) in the photos but it is exactly the slouchy kind of top I was looking for to pair with the skirt.  It falls any which way and It feels great to wear and the whole outifit feels very me.  I'm going to wear this outfit for birthday drinks at the end of the month.
Nani Iro C
Onto other sewing now... I'm sure you've all seen the new patterns from Papercut Patterns and in particular the very cool rendition of the  bomber jacket by Sophie at cirque du bebe.  Well I think I have a plan for those big dots I won from Gabrielle!  Can't wait for that pattern to arrive.. but for now I'm projectless.
Oh and don't forget the patterns giveaway!! Just leave a comment on this post - winner announced Friday and I'll post anywhere.



29 comments:

  1. Nice! Your top is a great contrast of casual and dressy. I loved seeing that skirt again...a fav of mine for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have also snapped up the bomber jacket too! I'll race ya to finish it???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and I also still love that skirt. I really think I need a sparkly skirt in my wardrobe. Imagine the fuss if I wore it to school!? I'm glad also that you managed to whip up a nice tee to go with. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very chic! How is it possible to be project less?! You obviously have much more self control than me! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh I love the slouchy new top! It looks cool on its own but also shows off the skirt. Enjoy the project-less-ness - I'm buried in 4 projects right now and paring back sounds nice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks great! Such a good outfit for Christmastime in Australia - a bit bling but relaxed too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that top! It looks so chic with the skirt!
    Proyectless? You? Nah, I can´t believe that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the juxtaposition of the fitted sparkly skirt and the oversized matte tee. I think this is a better match than the Briar. No projects?? I have way too many on my sewing table and in my head - I think I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the 2 pieces! The grey top makes the sequins more understated, and now it is totally chic, reminds of a Jcrew outfit I saw once. And the sequins is two-toned, so special!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that you have matched perfect the sequins with this tee, I love the different amount of volume between the two garments. I have seen the jacket, it´s soooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! This slouchy top does seem very you. You nailed it! Sometimes you need some distance/time from a project to come back and get it just right. Can't wait to see your bomber jacket, you are so on trend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha ha thanks Jillian! I've been imagining myself wearing that bomber for a few days now (obsession!?) so I'm probably setting myself up for failure :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks! I agree, the difference in volume really changes the outfit. Oh the jacket is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok, so the no projects was 24hrs ago. And when I say projects I mean where I have the pattern and the fabric all ready to go. I may have also just bought the new Pauline Alice dress pattern - but I need fabric for that... so I'm just hoping the fabric shop has something special.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ok ok, so I was only half telling the truth :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Suzy - I'm hoping it will see at least one Christmas event!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Morgan. It defnitely feels more natural to have it all slouchy like that. 4 projects. Yikes. Luckily I've got a pattern and fabric mismatch happening at the moment, but as soon as they all line up I'll be in trouble again.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Sarah. I feel a big fabric shop coming up so that will balance things up again :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was thinking of wearing it one day with my sneakers down to the shops!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I know you and you will finish it before me for sure! What fabric are you thinking? I can't wait to start on it. I think it will be a MASSIVE challenge for me... but we will see!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Margo. I can't wait to wear it out and about !

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just looked up the new Pauline Alice dress - very cute and the hidden pockets are so unique. I hope you find the perfect fabric soon so I can see this made up. I agree about how cool the Papercut bomber jacket is too. I'm sewing up a Strathcona long-sleeved tee for my husband (it's cut out and should be quick to put together). I've finally printed out the Named Dakota pattern (had to order A4 paper) so I'm hoping to catch up to the sewalong by next week.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the skirt and toning it with grey marle knit is inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh it looks just gorgeous! I love the sequins with a more casual top. I prefer to wear my silver sequinned skirt with a really casual white Tshirt, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Perfect! So you. Great save.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sorry for the late comment - life got busy and your post languished in my "Save for Later" list! I really like this new top with the skirt though - it makes for such a casual sexy outfit! Well done!

    ReplyDelete