FINISHED! An Icelandic Malvarosa

I've just finished Pauline Alice's latest pattern, the Malvarosa.  What can I say, I'm a sucker for a drop waist so when this was released I was very quick to buy it.
Malvarosa Dress in Liberty of London Ranga
This Malvarosa is made up in Liberty of London Ranga A, which is from the Liberty Art Fabrics AW 2013 Seen Collection.
Untitled
From the Liberty website:
This collection was Inspired by William Morris’ poem; ‘Iceland First Seen’, the Liberty design team travelled to Iceland on an exploration of the senses in search of their own ‘Earthly Paradise’. A sense of sight, the most complex of all the senses, is what took the team there. 'Iceland first seen' was written by Morris depicting his feelings for this wild Northern landscape, a fitting title for a series of designs inspired by sight.  Ranga shows a townscape of hand painted Icelandic buildings. 

The Malvarosa is a lovely simple pull on (no buttons, no zipper yay!) dress in either short or 3/4 sleeves.  For this version, I' chose the short sleeves, but I'm keen to give the longer sleeves a go. The sleeves on this are very cute and have a sweet little built in 'cap' which is part of the bodice pattern.
Malvarosa Dress in Liberty of London Ranga
I made up the 36 but thought the armscye was too big so ended up taking it in down the sides just over an inch rather than the 5/8 " seam which helped reduce the gaping.  You can see that it is still a little bit gapey, but is ok.  The way the dress makes up means that this type of adjustment is super easy as the skirt is added and then the side seams are sewn.

Both the neck and arms are finished with facing.  I put in a few stitches to hold them down as there is a risk that they flap out.
Malvarosa Dress in Liberty of London Ranga
Lastly the pockets in the skirt are a really cute feature. I feel like mine might be hanging a little bit - so next time I make it up I'll make sure when I attach the pockets I will keep skirt piece firm. I also wasn't sure how to finish the seam nicely at the skirt attachment. I ended up overlocking the pocket tops (once they were sewn onto the skirt top and then overlocking the whole thing once the pockets and skirt were attached.
 Malvarosa Dress in Liberty of London Ranga
I'm just looking now for some lovely hot summer days as this will be a perfect Summer dress and the unexpectedly Christmas-y fabric will definitely make it a perfect Christmas dress.
    Malvarosa Dress in Liberty of London Ranga

56 comments:

  1. This is so cute. I really need to get my hands on some Liberty fabric. Luverly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Renee //nearestthepinNovember 24, 2013 at 12:18 AM

    I love the dressy yet comfortable look of this dress. Your fabric choice is awesome Kirsty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm loving the drape of yours. those pockets!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this - the perfect summer dress! And those pockets are great there :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a lovely look on you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Maria and thanks for all those great photos on Instagram yesterday from Bendigo. Have a great meet up today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute! And yes, I'm waiting for warm weather too! Bloody Melbourne!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Kirsty. So glad you enjoyed them. Wish you were here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great dress. It is so your style and also that beautiful fabric make this unique. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a perfect silhouette on you! I loved your PR dropped waist shirtdress, so I figured you would look great in this and of course you do! I really like the cap sleeves (and the pockets). Great dress!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This dress suits you so well! Your fabric choice and placement look spot-on.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so comfortable & pretty. And any pattern that's zip / buttonless is very appealing to me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This dress looks so great! It looks wonderfully light and comfy too. Perfect for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it! It looks lovely and cool.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely love this! Perfect fabric/pattern match. How much fabric did you use? I tried to find the fabric requirements but couldn't see them anywhere...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad to see this pattern all sewn up! I've had my eye on it since it was released, but was umming and ahhing because i thought i could alter the Colette Laurel to have the nice gathered bottom section. BUT THEN i you said that this baby had no zips, and the option of no zips compared with an invisible one with the Laurel converted me straight away! I've paypalled and am now just awaiting my copy to arrive in my inbox!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Rachel! For 150cm width fabric you need 2.3 m (2.6m for 115cm width) but I only bought 2m of the liberty (width is about 140cm from memory??) and I have a tiny bit left over. I am a shorty but I cut all the pieces as per the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks! This makes up much much easier than the Laurel - the bust darts fell perfectly on this for me where as I had to make adjustments on the laurel. And no zip is a definite bonus! All the best with your make!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks - yes, I just need some summer weather to come my way.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks and me too. Yay for an easy uncomplicated make.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Morgan! I was worried after I cut it out that I didn't have the placement right as I was thinking that it is so busy I wouldn't notice it - but you do. Phew for luck!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks Shar! The sleeves are a bit unusual and I was worried that they show the 'worst bit of the arm' but I think it's ok!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks Sarah. I'm sure when the warm weather comes we'll all be wanting the cool weather!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you! Those houses are a bit cute aren't they.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That dress style is gorgeous. It so comfortable and easy to wear. Great for a hot Aussie summer. Congratulations. Cheers, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very cute. I love the print of the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such a cute matters and fabric match! What a perfect summer dress!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am totally in love! For some reason I'm always a little wary of drop waist dresses, but you make them look so effortless to wear!

    ReplyDelete
  29. It's such a pretty dress, just in time for the holidays. The fabric is so cute close up and from a distance it looks graphic, And those pocketslook like a must have now!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I knew I'd love this when I saw that glimpse of fabric on your last post! So very lovely. If only a drop-waist made me look like I was wearing something other than a sack or accentuate my ridiculous pear-shape in a very unflattering way. You look fab!

    ReplyDelete
  31. It look sooooo great on you!!!! Love the fabric! I´m wearing a coat with a cardi and after looking your outfit, I feel envy! Ha, ha, ha! What a cute summer dress! Pauline made a nice job :-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. perfect dress for a hot aussie summer! I love the story behind the fabric. I travelled to Iceland last year and can attest to its charms - wild, other-worldy and so visually inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks Karen. It is lovely to wear and an easy make.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks so much . Just need some warm weather :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks Sallie! I think it's probably good to be a bit wary of a drop waist, but they can be fun too..

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks Erin. Yes, the pockets are perfectly placed.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I've seen quite a few Malvarosa's styled with a waist belt which looks great.. so you get the style but not the bad aspects of a drop waist dress.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Pauline did a great job. I hope you are going to try it out?!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks Lexi. So jealous of your iceland trip!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Marielle http://annexedilettanNovember 26, 2013 at 1:54 AM

    Very nice and funny ! The dress and the fabric !

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thanks Kirsty. I bought the pattern last night - going to play around with a 2m length of Liberty I have - but I'm 5'8" so may be pushing the fabric length boundaries!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Oh My. This is EXACTLY my style!! The pattern and the fabric. Beautiful job, it looks terrific on you!

    ReplyDelete
  43. You MUST get it. I agree it is your style exactly.

    ReplyDelete
  44. This fabric is AMAZING! It really suits the drop waist style of teh dress too...

    ReplyDelete
  45. This is lovely! Gorgeous fabric and such a comfy, flattering dress design - Thanks so much for posting!

    ReplyDelete