FINISHED! Joy and Sorrow Cami Dress

Remember when I made that quick and dirty muslin of the Cami dress - in about 2 hours!? And I hated it. Well, maybe not hated it exactly, but felt that it just looked awful on me. Well, buoyed by your comments, I decided to make it and now, at the end of the Sewalong I have a finished Cami!
Cami Dress in Liberty Joy and Sorrow
All buttoned up with cuffs down
The fabric is Joy and Sorrow C from the Liberty of London Autumn Winter 2013 Touch story. I bought this fabric from Shaukat as soon as it became available there, as I couldn't find a stockist for it in Australia and with Tiny Dancers, it is probably my favourite of all of the AW13 designs.  I must admit that I was expecting the pattern to be bigger but the scale works well for this dress.
From Liberty of London:

"Mo Coppoletta has an international reputation for unique and exquisite tattoos, so was the perfect choice to represent this collection inspired by the art of touch. 

Joy and Sorrow is derived from a fascination Mo has with nursery rhymes and their dark magic. He wanted to symbolise the Liberty peacock by using different kinds of birds. Mo adorned them with strings of pearls, deco brooches and surrounded them with dragonflies, all of which were inspired by Liberty archive prints from the 1920s, creating a surrealist design with deep dark grounds."


Here is an interview with Mo Coppoletta on his designs for Liberty if you are interested. 
Cami Dress in Liberty Joy and Sorrow

Now to the dress.  The lovely fabric helps the dress along... unlike the stiff ugly fabric that I used for the muslin, the lawn helps it sit better.  In addition, I raised the waist by about 5/8 inch.  I think I should have taken it up a bit more, but it's ok.  I cut a 36 and then graded to a 38 at the waist because I was worried about it being too tight.  I needn't have worried.  The dress definitely looks better with a belt as it helps emphasise my waist.
Cami Dress in Liberty Joy and Sorrow
Cuffs up and unbuttoned
The sewalong was great but I still struggled a bit over getting the collar onto the collar stand at the front.  You know - the rounded bit at the front.  After I had done it I remembered Jen's video tute on attaching a collar - I reeeeeallly need to remember to use this next time I do a collar.  I have been blessed that this material hides all faults.

The rest of it was straightforward - although it wasn't a fast make. I'm also reasonably happy with the invisible zip after my last effort.
Cami Dress in Liberty Joy and Sorrow
The only things I'd change for next time would be to put the pockets up higher.  They are sitting a bit too low for this shorty person.  And maybe.. I'd add an inch to the length.  I'm only 5'2" so if you are taller and want it to hit at the knee then you might need to add some length.
Cami Dress in Liberty Joy and Sorrow
For the fitting purists it's not a perfect fit but it's pretty good and will definitely see a lot of wear - definitely work appropriate!  A very cute dress and I'm glad I made it.  Thanks Pauline for the pattern and the sewalong!
P.S. Shoes are these from Pour la Victoire.

43 comments:

  1. I like it! Great use of the fabric and those shoes are just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dress turned out amazing. The fabric is a great pairing with the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! Is the fabric base navy or black? I'm thinking of a liberty shirt dress but it has to go with black. Harder than I thought!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely beautiful and your hard work paid off! Now you need more Cami dresses to practice attach the collar

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Inna! I definitely need to practice those damn collars :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! It is black based. Running through all the liberty I saw at the shop today I agree that matching with black is hard.. except for this print. What pattern are you thinking of using?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much Lexi! And I've just discovered your blog. Yay. You make some great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Christy! Do you wear your Joy and Sorrow dress much?

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an intricate and beautiful print. The dress looks lovely! I'm so glad that you decided to make it. I've never attempted a 'real' collar, but a button down shirt is on my list so I'll have to remember to look up the tutorial. I was hoping to see the gold shoes you mentioned a couple of posts ago - love them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I almost bought this fabric today but it was too highly priced. I'll need to get my hands on some now I've seen your dress! It is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I REALLY love it! I know you weren't sure if this style was "you," but I think it looks fantastic on you! LOVE those shoes too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that fabric! I recently had it in my cart with Shaukat as well, but yet to purchase. It works really well with this dress and you look lovely in it. I would never have guessed you are 5'2", you look taller in your photos 😊

    ReplyDelete
  13. The trick of the camera and not having anyone/else in the photo for comparison!
    I am a big fan of this print so I say buy it!!! Now I'm looking forward to the next release of Liberty prints.. but that is probably a while away.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Tilly! Yes preppy is preferable for me as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Gail. Yes, I've come around to it and now I really love it. The shoes are fun. I probably won't wear them to work that often but you never know when you need gold snakeskin like shoes in the wardrobe :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Claire. It is a lovely pattern and the size of the design means that it would work with a lot of patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Shar! I need more practice because it feels a bit like I close my eyes and hope that it all works out. Shoes are so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You see! You did good! I like this look on you so much! And that fabric...just gorgeous....Well, all your fabrics are!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's lovely, and I'm so glad you are happy with it. Next collar you must look at Andreas collar tutorial @ Four Square Walls - I just made my first shirt collar using it, and it was ridiculously straightforward.....

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so happy you pushed through - this dress is amazing on you! And, of course, the fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. You know, there hasn't been a thing yet you've made for yourself that I haven't completely lusted after... and this dress is no exception. Your Liberty print is divine and the perfect scale for a dress like this... and hell, I LOVE the silhouette of this dress on you. Esp with those heels! What amazes me more is that you've gone ahead and made this ever after not liking the practise version... you look great :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I know just what you mean! I did the same today on the Strathcona Henley placket - close eyes, cross fingers. As for the working out part - not so much but at least it's a dark navy so maybe no one will notice :).

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks Kirsty! I'm so glad you stopped by to take a look.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Kirsty this dress is so YOU! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love this dress! And those shoes are killer, Kristy. Delish..all of it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You dress looks both pretty and smart Kirsty! I think you must have the most wonderful collection of Liberty in the world :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks Merche - it was your encouragement :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yes, definitely! I was halfway through putting it on when I remembered Andreas tute. Now that you've given it the thumbs up I'll have to use that one.

    ReplyDelete
  29. You are such a sweetheart! I think I could get a better fit for the waist but with the belt it works. While I was debating about making it I kept thinking how fun it would be to wear and that I should just go on and do it.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks Margo - I thought you might like the shoes.:)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks Carolyn. Before I started sewing I barely had a print anywhere in my wardrobe - now - well you can imagine. I'm jumpy now for a new collection of Liberty to come out... :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I didn't like the muslin, but have to confess to loving this dress. The fabric is MAGIC! and those gold shoes are perfect. Http://myfabrication.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is such a gorgeous dress! Lovely fabric, and with the modifications it looks great on you. And the shoes are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  34. It turned out gorgeous!!! It looks great on you, and I love the liberty fabric you chose :-) your efforts have been rewarded!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oooooh! I love it. You look great - and that Liberty print! It is going on my to-purchase list.

    ReplyDelete
  36. this turned out beautifully! It's a great job that you stuck with the pattern - the dress really suits you. Perfect use of the Sorrow & Joy print too (I need to get my hands on some of that too - it's my fav of the AW13 line).

    ReplyDelete
  37. Ha ha ha, thanks! I really don't have that many shoes.. maybe one day a post :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks Shivani - I remember when you posted on the AW13 collection that you liked it. Must be nearly time for a new liberty collection.. and a baby?

    ReplyDelete
  39. I'm so glad you went through with it!! It's definitely a different silhouette for you but I think that's a good thing, it looks amazing- grown up feminine, not cutesy at all! I love it on you.

    ReplyDelete