Handmade gifts - a catchup post

Here are a couple of handmade gifts I've made lately.  I'll be back soon with updates on clothing makes, including my sewing dare and the Cami dress, a whole lot of patterns I won from Claire and a few other things, but first up some handmade gifts

Liberty tissue holder with pocket!
So, here we have a tissue cover with a cute little side pocket for a pen or some lipstick! This one is for another work mate.  It is made with Liberty Tresco A. I was only able to purchase a little bit of this fabric so I'm glad it worked out.  It is lined in another Liberty Virtual Light A. The fit is a bit snug because  I made up the pattern myself after the only ones I could find on the internet involved sewing the top onto the side pieces, which I find too bulky and my head was spinning after a few hard days at work so my maths struggled.  The piece at the bottom is because I cut it too short. But I'm calling it a design feature!

ooshkak babushka doll in LIberty
Next up is an ooshka babushka doll I made using Liberty scraps for a little girl turning one tomorrow.  I have spoken before of my love for the patterns of Lisa from the Red Thread.  I made a 'superman' for this house many years ago and is a great comfort to me as I lie in the kid's bed reading stories.
IMG_4245
Lastly, to show I'm making good progress on my battle with the zipper purse, two little purses I made today. Elliot is off next week to a birtday party for twin girls, so they will get these with some little things in them.  Not sure what yet.. but something!

IMG_4247

12 comments:

  1. You're making me feel like such a slacker! I did a grand total of 15 minutes of sewing so far this week. I hope to get some time in this weekend. What great gifts! The dolls are just so cute and I like that they're big enough to double as pillows. I can't wait to see your Cami and SewingDare updates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, lovely gifts! And your zipper bags are looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those zips look flawless! What did you do differently, if you don't mind me asking? I'd love to improve mine! And I'm excited to see the rest of what you've been working on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great makes Kristy! Those dolls are an adorable gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dub thee queen of the handmade gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You little crafter you! They are all so cute. And I'm so glad to hear you decided to persist with the Cami, i think you can totally make it work. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Amy. I just finished cutting out the Cami - eeeek. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha ha! Thanks. Do you think people fear me arriving with a present... 'oh no!' Here she comes with another home made thing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Margo. They are pretty cute and very snuggly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks! Firstly I started making sure I aligned the zips and fabric on my cutting board to make sure all the pieces stayed lined up. After sewing the lining and the front fabric, I cut out the chunky bit ( where the fabric overlaps) as a square removing all the bulk. The instructions said to do this, but I never did it. Lastly, I followed Gillian's advice to sew a little bit further away from the zip (a mm or two) when sewing up to give the ends a bit of room to move.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Shar, I had such a hell 10 days at work that this is basically all I've done and then I probably shouldn't have done them and just tried to relax! The dolls are really cute - if you ever need to make a gift for a one or two yr old I highly recommend.

    ReplyDelete