FINISHED! The Tokyo Flower Show Jacket

This is a big call, but this is one of my favourite makes ever.   I bought the fabric Friday, made it up on Saturday and am now blogging about it on Sunday!  Obviously I'm in love and just a little bit obsessesd.
Tessuti Tokyo Flower Show Jacket
The fabric, from Addicted to Fabric is a heavy weight cotton with a small percentage of stretch Apparently it was also available at Tessuti as Rachel made an amzing Belladone out of it and Gabrielle also bought some, so I wait with baited breath to see what amazing garment Gabrielle makes from it.  I love this fabric.  It is so nice to sew with.  I have a metre and a half left and I'm keen to buy more... but I suppose that would be excessive... or weird to have a whole wardrobe made out of this fabric. Stay tuned for a skirt though - probably tomorrow at this rate:)
Tessuti Tokyo Flower Show Jacket
So now to the pattern.  I've been thinking lately how much I've loved having my New York Cape during winter and how much I wanted a loose fitting jacket for Spring/Summer.  I have a beautiful Claudie Pierlot blazer that I love but I wanted a more relaxed jacket with a bit of a swingy back.
Tessuti Tokyo Flower Show Jacket
Enter the Tessuit Tokyo jacket.  Amy made a beautiful colour blocked version a couple of months ago which I stored in the back of my mind and recently Sallie showed an amazing shibori version. I hadn't made it up before as I hadn't found the right fabric and I didn't really want to make it up in the recommended fabric as I wasn't sure it would be me, but rather thought I might make it up in a slightly less drapey fabric.

And so the marriage was made.  As soon as I bought the fabric on Friday I knew what I would make... but I wasn't sure that it would work, either for the fabric or the style on me.

But it did! (If I do say so myself). Yesterday afternoon the wind really picked up here so we all bunkered down inside and I got right onto the making.

There are so many things that I love about this make:

Tessuti Tokyo Flower Show Jacket
  • the slightly stiffer fabric kicks the jacket out perfectly at the back
  • the professional looking pockets and cuffs (which hide my usual lo fi sewing)
  • that you can turn the collar over - in full or a portion - I'm wearing it slightly turned 
  • you can snuggle up in the jacket - crossing it over the front - something I do a lot and is something I love with the NY cape.
  • The length...I was worried that it would be too long but the length is spot on
  • The pattern - it's quick and straight forward and gave me a great sewing buzz (from taping to finish was about 4 hours)
  • It's not lined but is really neat on the inside
  • Oh and it's a little bit Erdem
Tessuti Tokyo Flower Show Jacket
I made up the xs and cut the back on the fold rather than having a seam down the back.  The instructions are really clear and because it's not lined and the sleeves are magyar it is a dream to make.
Tessuti Tokyo Flower Show Jacket
I took most of these photos in the Ladies Garden at Old Paliament House.  I walk through here most mornings on my way to work.  It's the week before day light savings starts so the mornings are light and you can see how stunning the morning was so I thought I'd go 'on location' nice and early.
Tessuti Tokyo Flower Show Jacket

46 comments:

  1. Gorgeous jacket and what a location!
    It looks so wearable and will jazz up any outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one mighty fine jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ask and you shall receive - my comments are not keeping up with your sewing! I love this jacket and it looks great on you! It seems so versatile and I bet you'll wear it a lot this spring. I definitely have to look into this one. (I have to admit I had to look up 'magyar sleeve' and 'Erdem'). When I open my blog reader tomorrow I'm fully expecting to see the O'keefe - just kidding :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. That O'Keefe would be done except that I promised I'd take the boys to the movies and the weather is so nice I should be playing outside with them... but maybe later tonight I could get a start.. and it is a long weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky you to walk past such a beautiful place to work! I like the first photo where you pose near the blooming tree!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so gorgeous! Perfect print and pattern combination for this time of year. You and Sallie have put the Tokyo pattern firmly on my "to sew" list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was excited to see this just looking at the tiny picture on my dashboard as I knew I would love it - and I do! Absolutely beautiful. I particularly like the line it makes at the back - the fabric seems to be a good choice as it holds it shape but is not too rigid. Fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - I can't believe this was a quicker make. It looks really polished and fits you so nicely! And I'm envious of your lovely walk to work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that was super quick Kirsty. I was keen to see how the pattern turned out in this stretch cotton, I'm really impressed! Having initially thought a drapey fabric was the ideal weight, now the skys the limit. Thanks for sharing these great photos and for your review on the pattern. Colette

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's very pretty but the best thing I think about it is just how pleased you are with it! There's nothing liking making something you have in your minds eye turn out just as you want, and knowing no one else has anything the same! That's the best thing about sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my. That is gorgeous!! Now I DO want more of that fabric. I want a pencil skirt I think. I wonder if A2F do phone orders....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very Erdem! Congrats it's lovely! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay!! It's soooo lovely, this fabric is crazy amazing ps I'm loving stripes and florals together at the mo. I knew it would totally suit you. I wear mine all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your style just slays me Kirsty! I am always in awe. You totally know your style and nail it every time. This is just beautiful and the fabric? To die for. I'd be using it more than once too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ok, where do I start?......gorgeous pics and location! That fabric is beautiful and I often feel the same way about fabrics I like, wanting to make an entire wardrobe out of it! Your jacket is awesome! Amy T commented that it is very Erdem and I totally agree! Wonderful make!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the mention Kirsty!


    Your jacket looks awesome (as does that location) - do you know, I was all decided on making a dress with my fabric, but seeing your jacket... well, now I just don't know :)

    Speaking of don't knows, I don't know how you keep whipping up lovely garments so quickly, what a sewing star!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think it's because I'm a mono maniac!! I was just obsessed about this jacket so I just got in the zone and it is straight sewing so it really doesn't take long. Luckily my Cami dress is a slow slow make so it's keeping me a bit calmer. I think a dress will be perfect in this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Margo!! I'm totally in love with it. I'm glad I'm not the only one who wants to make a total matchy wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you so much Jilian. Such lovely comments. It was an easy make but I think very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks Amy! You know I was sure but am totally loving it. Stripes and florals are so great together (actually stripes with everything give in Winter I'm all about stripes and tartan!). This jacket will be seeing some high action this Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Rachel, I'm sure they do as they have a website where you can do orders. There was still quite a lot left on the roll. If you want I can try and wander down there later in the week and pick some up for you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks again for a great pattern! The different weight obviously changes the drape but it suits the style I was going for. I'll be wearing this at every opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks Morgan. It really was a very quick make. Yes, there are benefits to having to park 10 minutes away from work :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks!!! Yes! The fabric holds perfectly, not too stiff or rigid. It is a great weight.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks Suzy! You will really enjoy making up this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Luckily it was so early there was no-one around when I took the photos. Yes it really is a gorgeous place - especially when all the roses are out.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks! It will definitely be on high rotation!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Like.
    A.
    Boss.
    This is AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you sweetie!!!! Yesterday was a great day for your gardening and sewing, did you get out in the garden or bunker down at the sewing machine?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gorgeous! I love this pattern in a slightly stiffer fabric. And this floral botanical print is KILLER!! Very envious! Just perfect for spring...

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks! That is so lovely of you, but I'm going to go through my stash before deciding.... Got to try & be responsible!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Cute!!!! Love the fabric and the pattern looks super comfy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Stunning!! I love it in the floral too. You look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you so much! It is really a super comfy pattern and easy to run up! Can't wait to see your Pavot!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Aww, thanks! And thanks for the inspiration to get cracking on it. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Ok, last chance...I have to go to A2f either tomorrow or Friday morning to pick up some buttons for my Cami.....I could see if there is any of that fabric left.... ??

    ReplyDelete
  37. I am totally smitten by Spring and your lovely jacket. Gail @ http://myfabrication.blogspot.com who still can't post comments efficiently on blogs hosted by Disqus

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks Gail. I'm sorry that you are having problems with disqus. I know there used to be problems with iphones and ipads but I thought that was fixed :(

    ReplyDelete
  39. I almost missed this beauty! I love everything about this jacket. No wonder you like it so much, from the fabric to the pattern...Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh I'm so envious you got some of that fabric! I had the pleasure of seeing Rachel's belladone in person and I was oggling that fabric ALL NIGHT. And I can totally see how well it would have translated into a jacket (which were my thoughts) - LOVE THIS. Count yourself lucky you live so far away otherwise I would be the first suspect when this went missing from your wardrobe... hehe

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thanks Merche! This jacket has been worn sooooo much. I threw it in the washing machine the other day - brilliant

    ReplyDelete
  42. Ha ha ha ha ! When I'm down in country victoria for Christmas (marginally closer) I'll be sure to keep it under lock and key :). I'm glad you thought jacket too. The fabric is so wonderful - I went back to A2F a couple of days later and they had sold out as well.

    ReplyDelete