FINISHED! Lyla, Richard and the Mathilde Blouse

Et voilà, my second Tilly and the Buttons Mathilde. 
Richard, Lyla and Mathilde
The fabric is Richard and Lyla, from the Liberty of London SS 2013 Guerilla Gardening theme.


From the Liberty of London website: Richard and Lyla, depicted in this print, met while planting tulips on a London roundabout. The design inspiration was a 1950s archive print which was then re-worked and hand painted to depict Guerrilla Gardeners bringing plants to an urban landscape, creating areas of beauty amongst the architecture. 


Richard, Lyla and Mathilde Blouse
I bought this fabric earlier in the year from Addicted to Fabric and started the top in the middle of July in an effort to reduce my projects in time for a shopping trip to Tessuti.  My attention was diverted momentarily while I made up my Boardwalk Jersey top, but I got back to it last weekend.
I was just about to photograph it on Sunday, but put the camera on the top of the wheelie bin for a 'professional' photo shoot, as you do, and it fell off and the lens broke.  Mmmm, one of those weeks.  Ben replaced the lens on Monday and shhhh don't tell him, but I put the camera back onto the wheelie bin on Tuesday to try for another photo and it fell again, but not onto the lens this time. Phew, but needless to say, I've been a bit 'selfie shy' and the photos I did take I was all blurry and the background focussed.  How do you fix that on a selfie? Does a remote help? If so I'll be off to buy one this weekend AND get a proper tripod and get rid of the monkey grip one!  Anyway, I finally got Ben to take a few photos this morning - not the best obviously because he forget to get my face in!!? 

Enough about the photos.
Richard, Lyla and Mathilde Blouse 
I raved about this top last time I made it and I still love it second time around.  It is a bit big, but I just blindly did the pattern without any adjustments given I had made it before.   You can see that it is a bit big across the shoulders, but I'm not too worried. 

Just on the fabric, it was really hard to match as the pattern ran just off horizontal at an angle of less than 10'.  I played around with the fabric for ages trying to line up selvedges.  I finally forced the pattern to align as I thought it would look strange with the 'lines' running ever so slightlyon an angle. Luckily I don't think this affects the drape and the matching is so much nicer.  
Richard, Lyla and Mathilde Blouse
I really should make this pattern in a fabric that is less busy. It is almost impossible to see the pintucks in these photos, which is such a shame as they are such a great feature.  The colours aren't my usual style and the pattern is pretty full on, so it does take a bit of getting used to but I think I'll wear it quite a bit especially as we move towards Spring.  I've worn it to work tucked into a navy pencil skirt but I think it will get just as much wear with jeans.

Is that my last Mathilde?  I don't think so somehow :)

33 comments:

  1. How funny, the very first things I thought when I saw your top picture was - look at those lovely crisp pleats, and aren't the colours great on you! The buttons are such a great pop of the blue as well. Really lovely make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a gorgeous style on you. How could you stop now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks smashing on you, Kirsty! I think I may be coming around to the idea of Liberty for blouses now... You have too many rad ones not to inspire!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely work. I'm not sure if you love Liberty more than me, or me more than you. I may have just accidentally just purchased a little more. All with immediate sewing plans! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Liberty doesn't count in the stash! Can't wait to see your makes, did you buy some new season ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks!! I worry that sometimes I am a caricature of myself with all this Liberty. Let me know when you want to go fabric shopping. I'll help you find some Liberty :) PS are you going out to the craft show thing next weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you... you might be right... but a plain one is in order!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Jo. It's good to hear how other people see your makes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this version, you look great in it! I know what you mean about the busy fabric, I made mine in one like that but the pattern lends itself so well to busy prints!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous! And I agree with Jo - those colours look great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh I want one! How interesting about the fabric design inspiration - I love the colors and they do look great on you! You're right that you can really dress this up or down.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I just love this! This is one of my favorite Liberty prints, and this pattern is perfect for it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The concept behind this fabric is lovely, thank you for sharing! The colors do look great on you. You make me want to try this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, we must fabric shop soon! And is that the Canberra Creatives craft thang? If so, yes! Are you?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I just love the print and the pretty blouse-y shape looks so nice on you! You are the queen of Liberty :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The story/concept behind the prints is why I love Liberty so much. I'd love to see you make this up.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Shar, It's the test of a good blouse to me - that it goes with jeans and a skinny skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Tilly! I hope you are working on another pattern... or else I might need to make another Mathilde or Miette.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Claire, and for me, the busy print hides the imperfections :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is beautiful! I've not been a huge fan of this blouse, but this version looks so pretty on you! the blousen look really seems to fit and the sleeves look so elegant. Perhaps it was a fitting issue with others? Or body type? Not sure, but this is just lovely. Great colourful fabric. Grey and black become so tiresome, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  21. You look good in blouses! And this one is not an exception, especially combined with this fabric ! I don't think it's too colorful or busy with a plain pair of trousers or skirt.
    To add a bit of light on my self-shots I retouch a bit before posting. Maybe investing into a tripod worth more than a remote?:-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yes I want to. II might go Saturday from around 12 but have to be back for the lego show at 4 (!!!). When are you going?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this totally funky top. The fabric is special.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks Inna! You might be right about the tripod and the remote. I just want to make sure that the outfit is in focus and not the plants behind me :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you so much! Oh we all need some colour in our wardrobes don't we!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am so behind on reading my favorite blogs! I somehow missed this one. Love this blouse too Kristy!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I found your Mathilde post via the Tilly's Makers Gallery, and it's very pretty. I was looking at your first picture and thinking it looked a lot the front of an Australian house, then I noticed in the information about you, that you live in Canberra!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you and yes, Canberra! Are you in Canberra too?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Actually I live in London, but I'm from Melbourne originally.

    ReplyDelete