FINISHED! Tiny Dancer Drop Waist Shirt Dress

Drop waist shirt dress by Pattern Runway in Tiny Dancer Liberty fabric
Just in time for the end of the month, here is my finished Pattern Runway Drop Waist Shirt Dress made up from Liberty of London AW2013 Art Fabrics, Tiny Dancer (colourway A), from the Audio theme.  The fabric is from Tessuti and I snapped it up the moment I got the email notifying that some new season Liberty was in stock.
Tiny Dancer A Tana Lawn
"Tiny Dancer celebrates the collaborative work of choreographer Merce Cunningham and his musical advisor and partner John Cage, as they explore the relationship between dance and music. Sketched from performance videos with pen and ink, the design was stylised to create symbolic shapes. "

Drop Waist Shirt Dress Sewing Pattern - PDF Pattern
But let's talk about the dress.  Oh how I LOVE this dress. I've been working slowly on this most of the month, in between my other projects.  This is so 'me'. The collar combined with the drop waist and the fabulous print is a perfect fit for my style.

A big congratulations to Pattern Runway. I wasn't particularly familiar with their patterns and hadn't sewn up a pattern from their range before, but I was really impressed. The pattern was a digital buy, which more and more these days I'm preferring. Clear pattern (I really liked the grid on the pattern) with very good instructions. I had a question which I emailed through and I got an immediate answer.
Drop waist shirt dress by Pattern Runway in Tiny Dancer Liberty fabric
As for the making of it, you may remember way back at the beginning of June I made a muslin for this dress. Well I think the adjustments I made back then were spot on.  It is probably a bit loose in the body but I don't think that matters and I like it. In the end I didn't have to adjust the armscye like I thought I would - the change in the bust darts were enough to lift them.
It wasn't a quick make but it did come together reasonably easy.  Oh except for the fact that I sewed the left shoulder up 4 (yes 4 times) before I got it right.  Yes, it was late at night and I kept twisting the seam as I was sewing it inside out.  The result is lovely and clean on the shoulder but I just kept twisting the damn thing. Only on one shoulder of course!
Drop waist shirt dress by Pattern Runway in Tiny Dancer Liberty fabric
I had a few problems with putting the collar on getting the curved ends to be neat.  I really must hunt down a tutorial for that.  It was a tight squeeze to get a button on in the space I ended up with but I did and hopefully the Tiny Dancer fabric hides any little issues.  Last night when I was finishing it I was so worried about this tiny button space, that I resigned myself to never wearing it buttoned up, but now that I'm wearing it, it feels and looks ok done up. In fact that will be the default wear.
Drop waist shirt dress by Pattern Runway in Tiny Dancer Liberty fabric
I didn't line the dress, partly because I just didn't know where to start with doing such a thing with a shirt dress. I'm not worried as I can always wear a slip under this for winter or in summer, my own legs will be just fine.
Drop waist shirt dress by Pattern Runway in Tiny Dancer Liberty fabric
I'm a bit off across the bodice on the pattern, but I'm just going to forget that I noticed it and I'm sure you will too :)

Do check out Pattern Runway.  I certainly will be looking at more of their patterns and will be putting this one away as a definite one to remake. ... although for now, I think I might make something really easy.

47 comments:

  1. This is super cute. I was wondering what it would look like made up, and it looks great on you. I think the fabric is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your comment. I think it is really super cute too. I'm so in love with it. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. definitely top button done up!! So you. It turned out really well. The fabric works so well with the pattern. Massive thumbs up from me! They've got a really great free skirt pattern that I think I'm going to get. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks to be your style, perfectly. That print looks great made up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking at your dress makes me wanna dance! Lalalalla :) Keep on wearing it buttoned up because it looks neater and cooler :) I absolutely love your styling on the very first photo! Thumbs up for the drop waist shirt dress!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man - this if fantastic! Perfect collaboration between fabric and pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute! The fabric and pattern are perfect together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a gorgeous match of pattern and Fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I´m in love with your dress! That fabric is so pretty, and the pattern you used is the perfect match...as everyone said before me. I like that style on you,( peter pan collar, yay) And in the first photo specially you look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. you look great! I love the first photo, you're really working that dress! This fabric really does make me smile when I look at it closeup, it must be lovely to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like this, too! Suits you really well.
    Had to laugh, because I thought "Tiny dancer" referred to you, at first (no thumbnail preview).
    Don't notice any mismatch on the bodice, don't worry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha ha ha ha, it does make me want to dance :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Carolyn. I think it is my favourite as well.. can you please do a tutorial on attaching collars :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh you really must buy it - is their sale still on?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Kathryn. I agree.. it really is smile inducing fabric !

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much Merche - I really like that look in the first photo although I also think it will be a great summer dress.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree, the button up is the way to go. Oh and yes, I wanna dance as well ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, I'm so going to be wearing it buttoned up. Just checked out that free pattern - what a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love it, especially with the long cardi. It is totally you!


    I also love Pattern Runway. I've made a few of their patterns and think they are really well done. I'm very likely going to buy 2 of the new releases :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow - you look great and I'm so pleased you snapped up some new fabric and used it so quickly. What a great dress!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love all of your makes but this is definitely one of my favorites! The fabric is gorgeous, the style is perfect on you, and you did such a wonderful job of putting it all together. (I don't see a thing wrong with it.) I have to show the fabric to L (she's been taking dance classes since age 5 and will love it). Awesome make!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this look on you! Drop waist dresses always sort of scared me, but you look so lovely in yours I just might have to give it a try! That tiny dancer fabric is fabulous!! Liberty does it again!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks so great!! You know I lalalalaloooove that fabric :) Seriously makes my cry a little on the inside that I can't buy any, haha. I love your dress, it is so cool and the perfect fit for this fabric! And I have looked several times but I can't see any mismatch on the bodice, so I think you're good!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for covering me Kelly on that bodice. I thought I'd matched it perfectly but as I was looking at photos yesterday I started to doubt myself. Maybe there will still be some left after you finish your stash busting :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks ! Don't be scared of the drop waist :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh shucks, thanks Shar. Everytime I think of the fabric it makes me laugh a little it's so fun. .. but completely wearable at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yes, I've already bought the other new release! Although I probably won't be making it up quite yet.. but they are really well done aren't they.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Woooah you look so badass and cool! Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What we have here is a PERFECT pattern/fabric match. This dress makes me want to serenade you with Elton John's Tiny Dancer.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I know, fabric I am dying to buy is a great motivator to burn through my stash, haha

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh I love it when you finish a project (especially one that you've invested a lot of time in) and it feels s perfectly 'you'! So satisfying :) I love that about sewing- that once you've nailed your style or a particular pattern you can keep returning to it and know that it will be a success, and a success that you'll get a lot of wear out of :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow, lovely dress and fantastic fabric! I have just heard about this pattern company a little while ago, but am really liking what I am seeing people sew from them.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks! Oh yes, do check them out!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. It is hard not to sing when wearing this dress!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great dress Kristy! Just letting you know that I have nominated you for a Super Sweet Blogger award! http://creatinginthegap.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wowser! This is absolutely stunning. Kirsty! I have no words in the face of such awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow, I love your dress !
    I didn't choose this pattern, but now I want to do it :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks so much for popping by! You should definitely try this one. I'm trying now to chose fabric for the other dresses in the collection.

    ReplyDelete