Top 5 favourite (clothing) makes of 2012

Many of you already know that Gillian from Crafting a Rainbow is organsing a great end of year sewing reflection..I've joined up as I thought it would be interrsting to reflect on my sewing.I was going to wait until after Christmas to start on these posts, but like Gillian, have started a bit earlier so I can fit them in amongst all the other Christmas things going on.  First category is my Top 5 favourite makes of 2012.  I'm limiting this to my clothing makes as I might want to bring out a best of the rest later on.. !?

Number 5:  
Salme pussy bow dress
Salme pattern pussybow dress
This dress is worn to work just about every week.  I love it because it's Liberty of London print, it's my first lined dress and it has a pussy bow.  Say no more.  Yes, yes, the fit isn't exactly right ... the waist could be shorter but at the end of the day, this is a winner.  The pattern is by Salme patterns which unlike some of the other independent pattern makers haven't quite got their style thing going on yet, but have some really fun things amongst their range including the playsuit, which I know I'm going to get a lot of wear out of in the Summer months. The playsuit I made is down in my honourable mentions.

Number 4:
The Brocade Skirt
Brocade skirt
I made this skirt back in July.  I blogged about here.  This is the first, would you believe, pattern I ever made from one of the big companies.  It is McCalls 5591 and I do plan to make many more if I could just stop finding other patterns I want to make.  I love wearing this skirst with the stripey top as in the picture, but also love wearing it with my ornithology top.  Again, this is on high rotation for work and with different shoes can transform itself into an edgy skirt for going out in.

Number 3
Drape Drape Cardigan
Drape Cardigan no.15
Against all the odds, this is one of my favourites from 2012.  I made it in August when I was trying to focus on making clothes with buttons.  And there are many buttons! It is from the very cool Japanese pattern book "She has a Mannish Style" and I must say that it was one of the 'funnest' things I've made.  I just love those patterns that are the strangest shapes that seem to com together.  I had a lot of 'comments' about the fabric I used for this cardi - none of them good.. but I like the end result, have had lots of positive comments about it and found it a great Winter piece. 


Number 2
Paper Cut Patterns Pleated Pants
Papercut patterns pleated pant
I made these pants way too big, took them in and although they are still a bit big I LOVE THEM.  I'm so proud of them as they have a zipper and are also far more complicated than anything I had done previously.  The pattern is great, the material is great. I wear them at least once a week - they go with heaps of tops.  Winner!  I will definitely make another pair - a size smaller (unless I over indulge at Christmas).

Number 1
Deer and Doe, 
la Veste Pavot in Pink Linen
La Veste Pavot
Best make of the year, worst hair in a photo!
Great pattern, fabulous colour, buttons and an uncharacteristic slow and steady sewing pace, all go to make this coat my favourite make of 2012.  I am usually such a speedy and impatient sewer, but I really took my time with this coat. I wear it quite alot and every time it makes me feel great.  Unfortunately I haven't found loads of different ways to wear it yet, but I probably haven't put my mind to it enough.  Also, I wish now that I had known about bound button holes before I made it, as I think the button holes is the only thing that is letting the coat down. Having said that, overall, I'm extremely proud of this one!  Whenever my mum sees me in this coat she always says "You've come ahead in leaps and bounds"!

Honorable Mentions:

  • The Liberty Salme PlaySuit - I am praying for a hot summer so that this gets a lot of wears.
  • Megan Nielson Banksia Top 
  • All my Liberty of London blouses, but especially this one.  It was the first time I had put a collar on this shirt and I think it turned out so great.


Next up - top 5 SEWING FAILS of 2012!

8 comments:

  1. That a lovely line-up! (Plus I'm impressed that every single one was photographed in the same location! A+ for consistency!) Not one of these garments could have come from the local mall - You've really made a beaufitul and unique wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gillian. I didn't realise they were all in the same location! How funny. Thanks for the compliments x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so impressed you made all these clothes... they all look so good on you. What a cool talent to have.
    Wishing you a lovely Christmas Kirsty!
    Ronnie xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhh, brocade skirt! Yummy! I love your pink coat too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! Yes, the brocade skirt turned out so great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just found your blog, but you're clearly a talented sewer - all your items look so much more complex than the speedy things I largely make. Love the brocade skirt and your coat, and they are all really individual pieces that look like designer fashion. Well done on a great year of sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much, but I think I've put my most difficult up!! I'm so pleased that you say they look individual :) I'm going to pop over to your blog now and see your top 5.

    ReplyDelete