FINISHED! the disintegrating double gauze sugar tee

Clearly I was pretty taken with the sugar tee by Katie-Maree Cole in my recently aquired Home Sewn book, as no sooner had I finished my little post about the book, I was dragging out some double gauze I have had in the stash for a long time, some yellow lace bought on a whim and got pattern tracing.
The size in the book is a 10, bust 87cm, waist 67cm and hips 94cm so I just went right ahead with the sizing to see how it would turn out.  The instructions are basic but straightforward (just 7 steps). No diagrams, just 7 short written steps.
The fit is great and will definitely be making many more of these.  I just adore this style.
Untitled
Worn to work today - Hulk drawn by Oliver one afternoon in my office
I'm also pretty fond of the yoke for which I used the 'wrong side' of the double gauze. I love the feel of this material and I've always thought that it was a shame that I could never find anything to make out of it.  I'm super keen on it with the yellow lace.  The lace is a bit narrow (maybe) and I didn't gather it as per the instructions in the book but I prefer it this way on this top at least.
Untitled

What I won't do next time is
  1. Think that this will be really quick and easy and try to squeeze it in before and then try to push on after dinner.  Yes, 90% of it goes together quickly but there is still some time in the binding.  This is not the time to be trying to sew with small children and Ben away.  Everyone and everything goes feral. Oh, who am I kidding.  I probably will do this wild chase of instant sewing gratification again, but one day I need to learn.
  2. I won't sew double gauze like it's normal cotton - or even worse like it's jersey which is sort of what I did as I used the overlocker for the seams - don't ask me what I was thinking - see point 1 above!  Of course everytime I looked at it a split appeared in a seam. I have fixed most of them now, but can see myself carrying around the fray stoppa and glueing it all back together.  I was nervous wearing it to work today but no splits spotted.
Untitled

5 comments:

  1. Such a cool top! I really like the yellow lace on the yoke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute blouse! The lace creates a necklace effect: so smart! I've just received the book and can't wait to make one or two garments during this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much! I can't wait to see what you make!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kirsty! I LOVE this top, it's such a great shape and the yellow lace is perfect, and there's a lovely drape to the fabric! I'm having real book envy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much Jo! I think it's a great little book so I'd recommend it.

    ReplyDelete